My reflection blog this week is to review
the power of every day reasoning in multistage decision-making. In the course
reading material it discusses how researchers solve multistage problems through
the application for formulas to provide the most significant opportunity of
success. My blog will review my own decision making process and reflect on the
process compared to those outlined in the material. I will reflect on impacts
on forward planning and possible decision analysis to predict future impact of today’s
decision.
The setting
for my blog decision making is based around my role as a program planner for a
major aerospace company that provide software design and redesign, where the
customer is our government acquisition team. In this role I have very little
decision making in overall design of the software, itself. My decision make
comes into fruition when we use the tools to plan the work and creation of
metrics to measure project performance.
Myopia is very relevant in project planning as each person has his or
her own needs to completing the project. Myopic decision-making is apparent
when each stakeholder is only looking out for their small scale of work scope
verses how they are logically linked and impact to other stakeholders within
the schedule. This disadvantage of this
type of decision-making in project planning is the inability to effectively
schedule work. Schedule effectiveness measurement is a formula based metric
defined by our customer. This measurement is measure on actual start and finish
dates that the team determine each month, looking forward. The disadvantage of this metric is its
measured exactly on a precise date. The measurement is a monthly analysis,
however if a tasks slips one day, but is in the same accounting month, it still
considered a miss or a failed effort.
In the
course reading it stated the “Wharton Behavior Laboratory has found that with
people who have had statistical training, they still underestimate the value of
future options” (p47). As a planner with an in-depth background in logistical
analysis, I would agree that it is hard to estimate the future of a project. I
somewhat veered off to ask myself this question while I was reading the
material to determine why is it so hard to make a decision based on what I know
today in the project. I would eagerly
identify that I based my decisions on decision in the past, whether they were
failures or successes. My decision-making is centered on a great amount of
assumptions and perceptions that surround not only the project itself but also
the various variables into the equation. The biggest variable is the direct
customer who can make changes during the lifecycle of the project by adding new
scope or deciding to remove scope that they felt was no longer necessary. The variables
can be the performance of the labor force not meeting the plan work in the time
it was determined It would be done. The odd part of the planned project is the
scope was planned on some type of past effort and sometimes a guess, due to the
unknowns associated with the work. (Hoch, Kunreuther, & Gunther, 2001)
My
decision-making style is variable based on the situation, as I am a
perfectionist who does not like to make bad decisions, which sometimes is not
away the best way to go about things. When it comes to work projects my
decision-making is a bit more open and teamwork approach. I tend to use my
ability to rely on past failures to prevent future ones. But at the same time I
am a person who lives on the idea of trial and error, as not every decision is
clear-cut with a positive results, and you really don’t know until you try. An
example of trial and error is when I teach Microsoft (MS) Excel courses at
work, and now considered the subject matter expert. The key is that I don’t
know everything in MS, ad sometimes its trial and error to get to the end
result. I also use the Google search engine when I do not know the answer. The
ability to make that decision is using past decision to search for the answer,
tends to work out more efficient for me in the end.
To reflect
on impacts of my decision-making, I feel my style is based on learning and
listening to others who make decisions, and collegiate level learning where I
tend to do an ample amount of self-reflection learning. An example of
difference is with my spouse as we work at the same company with different
decision-making styles. My husband who is a senior manager believes in fixing
the problem and asking questions later. I am the opposite where I prefer ask
the questions and find the root cause and then take action. Neither of the two
examples is wrong, just very different. So I asked myself why are we different
and it has to do with his decisions effect safety of people and aircraft and
mine has do within the business office. The overall difference is based on the
type of work that is done and sometimes you have to have the different
decision-making styles in a work setting to reach optimization. Both roles
require equation statistics to make decisions, however one is critical to
safety of life and equipment, and the other could be life of a program.
Overall,
decision making in my work area does have an impact on future decisions for not
only the program but also the company. The decisions I make in using our tools,
working with other programs, and interaction with my overall customer will have
an impact on future programs for the company. I am very cognizant of how I
interact with all people, as I don’t want the perception that I am a non team
player who is argumentative or incompetent.
I am very confident in my skills and biased at time, as I know what I am
doing is efficient and appropriate to the program. I am somewhat shy in
decision-making as I feel like I am still learning, watching, and asking for
feedback on how I handled things. I am
not scared to make decisions but they are very variable based on the situation.
Reference:
Hoch, S. J.,
Kunreuther, H. C., & Gunther, R. E. (2001). Wharton on Making Decisions.
Hoboken, New Jersey, USA: John Wiley & Sons.
No comments:
Post a Comment